Sunday 5 January 2014

Apple Bacon Pork Roast


Untitled 

Today, being Sunday, I decided to try a roast in the crock-pot. I chose this recipe from Moms with Crock Pots for Crock Pot Apple Bacon Pork Roast.

Adjustments
I used a 500g tenderloin of pork, which is plenty for 5 people. The two apples were pink ladies, which had been left in the fruit bowl over Christmas and weren't otherwise fit for consumption. I reduced the amount of sugar to 2tbsp, since 1/3 cup seemed like too much. I left out the glaze altogether.

Untitled
Ingredients in the crock pot
Preparation

This took just minutes to prepare. I cut 3/4 of the way into 1 inch slices as suggested, and put slices of apple into each of the cuts. The rest of the apple went on top. Then I covered the meat and apple with 5 slices of bacon, which were part-cooked under the grill. Finally, the sugar was sprinkled over the top. We put the cooker on low and left it for 7 hours.

Near the end of cooking, I prepared some mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots.


The Result 

The pork came out beautifully tender, practically falling apart, so that it was not even possible to carve (see picture). The juices from the pork and apple were delicious and I just poured it over the pulled pork - there was no need for a glaze. The bacon didn't crisp at all, but provided some good flavour. The apple pulp made a nice sauce on the side, just like apple sauce.

The Verdict

Definitely another success. My kids don't like cooked apple, but they enjoyed the pork and Miss Fussy Eater ate all her meat without (much) prompting, probably because it was so easy to eat. She gave the recipe a solid 10/10. Mr Teenager gave the meal 8/10, though went back for seconds. He said it lost marks because the bacon wasn't crispy and it was a "funny colour".

We had no leftovers, and the plates were left clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment