Saturday 22 February 2014

Simple Chicken Curry

Easy chicken curry
This week we decided to try a simple chicken curry, again from the Skinny Slow Cooker Recipe book. Again, it looked like there was a bit of preparation involved, so we threw everything together in the crock pot the night before, and kept it in the fridge overnight. It only took about 20 minutes, but 20 minutes is valuable time in the morning when you are trying to get everybody up and out.

Preparation

The recipe calls for 500g chicken breasts. I used more, maybe 600g, because I was cooking for 5 people. But the rest of the ingredients were left unchanged. 

We cut the chicken, still frozen, into small pieces and threw them into the pot with: one onion chopped fairly small; 3 cloves of garlic, chopped; 1 generous tsp sundried tomato paste; about 1 thumb of ginger, peeled and grated; 1tsp each of garam masala, turmeric, ground cumin and hot chilli powder; one and half cups passata. This was mixed and left, covered in the fridge overnight, giving the chicken plenty of time to thaw. 

Next morning I gave it another stir and left the crock pot ready to go on, asking the au pair to switch it to low at 1pm. 

When I got home, about 6:30pm, I just put on a pot of rice to cook. When it was all ready, I turned off the crock pot and stirred in a large cup of low fat Greek yoghurt (the Liberte brand is delicious). 

The Result

To my horror, the curry curdled when I added the yoghurt! This made it look not so appetising - a fact noted by both kids when they saw it. However, the flavour was delicious. The extra hot chilli powder made it spicy, but not overly so, while the ginger and other spices, combined with the tomato, really added to the overall taste. The yoghurt cooled everything down and, while it wasn't as creamy as I'd hoped, it was a very good curry. 

I left out 1tsp low fat butter from the recipe. I wonder if that contributed to the curdling!

The Verdict

Once he got over the appearance, the teenager loved this dish, and went back for a second helping. There was no picking out of onions! He asked if I would make the curry again the next night! 

Ms Fussy Eater was less enthusiastic, but with some good excuses. She had been at a friend's sleepover party the night before, and I suspect that there was very little sleep involved! So, she was very tired and cranky. She was also still suffering from a sore throat caused by swollen tonsils (she has to have them out next month) and is refusing more food than normal. She ate some of the chicken though. 

There was a little bit of curry left over, about another single portion, which Hubby took for his lunch next day. 

So, overall, definitely a recipe I will make again. I will have to try to stop the curdling next time round. 

No comments:

Post a Comment