Wednesday 4 February 2015

Balsamic beetroot

I haven't posted recently, but that's not because we haven't been using the slow cooker! On the contrary, we have used it probably at least twice a week since New Year. We've just been revisiting some recipes. The Best Whole Chicken has now been declared Ms Fussy Eater's favourite meal - to the extent that she requested it (with chips) for her birthday meal recently. We also return frequently to the chilli recipe, as well as Mexican Pork and also Pork and Pepper ragu.

But it's time to start experimenting again. On Sunday I was browsing in Eason and I came across a new recipe book called Slow Cooked by Miss South (who also has a food blog). I leafed through it, wondering whether to purchase or not. But then I came across this idea for cooking beetroot - and I was sold. 

I adore beetroot, it's definitely one of my favourite vegetables - but not the doused-in-vinegar kind. One of my favourite restaurants in Galway, Ard Bia, often has beetroot on the menu, and I will always go for it. I recently started making a beetroot hummus, which is healthy and tasty. This week, while grocery shopping, I found some fresh, uncooked beetroot, and bought it. I thought I might try roasting it, until I found the new cookery book. Cooking beetroot in the crock pot is a no-brainer. It's perfect for that long, slow cooking, which brings out the sweet flavour of the beetroot. 

Balsamic Beetroot
Preparation

I used about 500g of uncooked beetroot, stalks removed. It was already well-cleaned and didn't require any scrubbing. I cut the raw beetroot into quarters, with the biggest one cut into 8. This went into the crockpot, and mixed up with 1tsp vegetable oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and a good shake of dried thyme. 

While hubby and I went out to the cinema, I left the crockpot cooking on HIGH for about 4 hours. 

The Outcome 

When we got back from the cinema, there was a fabulous smell in the kitchen. I had forgotten about the beetroot, so it was lovely to be welcomed back to such an aroma. The beetroot was a beautiful deep red colour and it looked just gorgeous sitting at the bottom of the crockpot. I scooped the chunks out of the pot and let it cool a little before putting it in the fridge in a Tupperware container. Of course, I had to try a chunk, and it was just perfect. 

The Verdict

To be honest, I am really the only person in the house who appreciates this. Hubby could take it or leave it, while Ms Fussy Eater and Mr Teenager will actively avoid beetroot. All the more for me!

I took some slices today, with some homemade oat bread, for my lunch at work. What a treat! I might use some to make hummus, before the end of the week, but then again it might not last that long. 




No comments:

Post a Comment